Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Amy has been feeling good again today. As of tonight her fever is gone. She has a little bit of rash on her face, chest, and back that she got in the last few days. The dermatologist came today and did a biopsy to see what is going on. Dr. Densmore, her attending physician, came by this afternoon to update us on some tests that they had been waiting for. Basically they were interested in looking at what they call cytogenetics. With this test they were interested in seeing if she had any mutations to her chromosomes in the leukemia cells. With AML, you can have good or bad mutations. In Amy's case, she has some bad mutations. This means that her form of leukemia is particularly aggressive and prone to rellapse with traditional treatment. Dr. Densmore has suggested that the next step be a bone marrow transplant. It will take some time before the actual transplant will take place. Before the transplant occurs they will continue to treat her at UVA to get and keep her leukemia in remission. The plan is to have the transplant done at Duke University as they are particularly experienced in the process. We're happy with this decision to treat it aggressively. We will continue to keep you up to date.

8 comments:

  1. Amy,

    I'm so glad to hear you are doing well and so proud of your strength thus far. I've been thinking about you and Michael every day and know you will fight this to the finish. Stay strong and know that we're all behind you.

    Love always,

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome to hear you are doing well today! Please keep us up to date on the bone marrow transplant and how people can get tested to see if they are a match. Hang in there!
    Tonie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy Lucy, Its close to 12 and im gettin ready for bed. Just got home from work and gotta go back in the mornin. Thought I would check in with you guys first and say howdy, You get a good nights sleep, and ill check in again tomorrow. I sure Love you bunches. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy,
    Just a note to let you know I am here online checking on you as I do every day and night. I am so thankful you are feeling better today.
    Prayers answered. I love you and I will see you very soon. Love to you too, Michael.
    Your Aunt Robbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy and Michael,
    To add to a comment made by Tonie, PLEASE keep us informed on how and where people can be tested for a bone marrow match. We all love you and will do whatever we need to do to help you in this fight.
    I'm glad that temp is down, Lady! :)
    Love and HUGS!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy,

    I have heard alot of you through my mom and dad. They talk about you everyday and you have alot of people praying for you. I hope that your temp stays down and you get to move to the hotel soon.

    Heather Glenn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Kids,
    It's very uplifting to get messages from you like I have heard and read today. I'm so glad you are doing so well, just hang in there and soon you will be making that transfer to the "Leukemia Path".
    I really hate to tell you this, but I think your puppies are spoiled! They also really seem to be missing their mom and dad, but I try to love them a little bit, until they start climbing all over me and then I have to repeat, "down", "down". They send their love to you both.
    I love you,
    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  8. Savannah says "I love and hope you feel better. I hope my healing fairies made it to you. They are the best fairies I have." We all love you and are glad to know that you are feeling better. We continue to think of you and pray for you.

    Billy, Lee Anne, Savannah, Maria

    ReplyDelete