Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Amy has had a busy 24+ hours. After being admitted to the hospital the testing began. They did the CT Scan at 1 a.m., the doctor came by the room at 3 a.m. to tell us there were no blood clots in the lungs, Amy woke up at 4 wanting a cherry Popsicle, then the nurse came in to take vitals and weight, and since we were still awake at 5:30 a.m. we decided to give Greg a call and let him know the results of the CT Scan (I don't' think he appreciated our thoughtfulness that early in the morning). Amy then slept until about 8:30 a.m. - when we had to wake up for the doctors making rounds. The day has been long and hard on Amy. She was in pain most of the day... her back, left shoulder, and both arms being the worst. They did give her a pain pump so she can get pain medication as needed. Dr, Rizzieri said there is some inflammation around Amy's heart. The cause could have been the leukemia or the chemo to fight the leukemia. They have placed her on an anti inflammatory steroid (which makes Amy very weepy) and another antibiotic to help with the inflammation. They do believe this is what is causing Amy's shortness of breath and chest pain.
Amy was feeling a bit better..then the guy came to the room to do the Echo Cardiogram. It was amazing to watch the "pictures" of Amy's heart on the screen, but it was not amazing when the technician preforming the Echo.. all of a sudden looked at us and the nurse and said, "is there a doctor on this hall?" and went out of the room and down the hall. Of course, it scared all of us. When the nurse came back we asked what was wrong, and she said nothing he just wanted permission to use some contrast to get a certain "picture" wanted... we were not amused. Then to top off the afternoon, we had a visit from the "planned one" (David) and his son (Justin). It was great to see them and had a wonderful visit. Amy was feeling pretty good until about 7:30 p.m., but then her left shoulder began throbbing bad. It took awhile to get the medication dosage that helped bring the pain down. Once the pain eased up she finally fell asleep... hoping she sleeps good until morning.


  1. Thank God no clots, good medical attention and good pain medicine. Our faithful Lord will provide.

    Trusting Him,

    David & Candy

  2. Hi there-

    What a saga-I sure hope the meds are right now and she is home and resting-She deserves all of the cherry popsicles she wants! and anything else-

    You folks are so strong and we are sending lots of love and prayers-