Monday, November 30, 2009

Good Afternoon! So we have a little bit more of a plan than we did last week but a lot of things are still up in the air. The medical plan is for me to have a big round of chemo. This is actually part of a clinical trial. The chemotherapy drugs are common but they will be put into fats (lipids) before they are injected into me through IV. This is supposed to help them be delivered more directly to the bone marrow. Then we will wait and see how my cells grow back - the hope is the donor cells will be the ones that take over and grow back however there is a chance that my cells will be the ones that grow back. In that case we'll have to go on to some other types of treatment.

I will probably start this round of chemo sometime next week. This will be inpatient chemo and I will be in the 9200 wing of Duke Hospital. I really like this unit and the nurses on it so this does not bother me at all. We will find out more on Thursday about the exact day I will go in the hospital, whether I will have another central line or not, and an estimate of the length of my hospital stay.

Here is an article Cecille McDowell sent me about a woman who had a stem cell transplant. Her situation seems freakishly like mine to this point (down to watching TV shows on DVD while in the hospital). It is a good read if you are interested.


Hope all had a nice Thanksgiving and have a wonderful week,
Amy

10 comments:

  1. Hello Amy Lucy, Bud here. Been a rainy one here today but kinda enjoyed the lazy day after a couple of weeks of deer hunting. Sure not hard to tell i'm getting old. Sounds like you are getting a plan together so to get back ahead of this hurdle. You can be assured that you still have a huge supporting cast that are continually thinking of you and praying for you. Just in case you havent noticed, you are one very loved little lady. Kel and I have talked of a trip that way soon. Give our love to Michael, Kathy and Gregor. Talk to you later. Love CHRIS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,
    I am lifting you up in prayer every day! Please let Michael and your parents know that I am praying for them too! I know that God is listening to a lot of prayers of healing for you -- and I pray that God will answer and heal you! Keep your chin up! You are never alone! God is there with you, and we are too -- in spirit!
    Love,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear there is a plan more in place. I updated people at school on what is happening and they all said to tell you they were thinking of you and to keep them updated. Mrs. McDowell showed me the article this morning. I was very encouraged by it. Getting ready to watch "How I Met Your Mother." Hey Teagan wants to give you a message: dddddsxxdddddssszcssxd hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh zAS
    I will translate. It says: I love you cousin Amy and even though I am little, I still look up to you and know you are very brave. Hope to have some time with you soon. Love, Teegee girl.

    Well have a great day. Joleen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a real plan is forming to fight this newest battle. Your faith and positive outlook must be rattling the devil's cage because he can't seem to get you down. Praise the Lord! You are certainly teaching some of us "older" people valuable lessons by the way you are facing your challenges. Thank you! And may God continue to bless you and strengthen you and heal you! I love you and I'm praying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Morning Dear Amy,
    Such an uplifting posting. You are showing all of us how to handle problems, and we will win this battle, and what a victory that will be!!
    You have such a big support group, always have.
    If God is for you, who can be against you! We will always have valleys, but we can also grow in them. Hoping to see you soon.
    I love you and think about you all the time.
    Love, Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello to all in nc. glad to see those fats can be put to good use!! hope you are having a good day, nice and sunny here. let us know if there is anything yall need or want please. that article was great, so much like your story!! you are both very strong young ladies, with such good attitudes. hope to see you soon, love ya, genie and eddie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, much love and prayers coming your way. When I told Elizabeth about you starting to get sick again, she was very sad, but also very optimistic. She still very much wants to meet you. She has been asking about you everyday and as always you and your family remain in our prayers. Stay strong, stay positive and always live with hope. To a 7 year old we are all unstoppable, so also stay unstoppable! Much love, Kathy, Elizabeth and family

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy,
    Sounds like a good plan, and knowing that the Lord's hand is in it, is all we need! Keep the faith and great attitude.
    Your brother & sister in Christ,
    David & Candy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can we donate fats for the cause? I have plenty. :) I'd do anything in the world that I could for you, Amy. Keep the faith. God always has a plan.

    ReplyDelete